We are a community in action
We aspire to be a beacon of liberal faith, strong community, and transformative service, rooted in love.
- Liberal Faith: We commit to participate side-by-side across generations in worship, religious education, social activities, environmental protection, and social justice work—learning, sharing, and growing together.
- Strong Community: We commit to care for one another, nurture the light that shines within each of us, and support each other’s individual search for truth and meaning.
- Transformative Service: We commit to pursue diversity, justice, equality, reason, and discourse; provide inspiration through music, creativity, and the arts; and work cooperatively to affect positive change in our community and beyond.
We are "Old Sloop"
Our Parish Life
- The esteemed Minister, Rev. Pamela Barz;
- The dynamic Coordinator of our youth program;
- Our gifted Music Director;
- Our Administrator extraordinaire;
- And the self-governing congregation!
We are a modern liberal religious tradition with two-century-old roots in the Protestant Christian churches. We are a thriving multigenerational community based in a meetinghouse rich with Scituate history. We are the "Old Sloop" church.
We are united in shared experience: Our open and stirring worship services, religious education, and rites of passage; our work for social justice; our quest to include the marginalized; our support for one another.
About Our Self-Governance
First Parish is guided by the UUA, a voluntary association of autonomous local churches and fellowships, which have freely chosen to pursue common goals together. Our congregation governs and funds itself. We covenant together for trust, safe staffing, and respectful communication and conduct.